Ray de la Cabada
Title: Owner & Attorney
Company: Law Office of Ramon de la Cabada
A fluent Spanish speaker, Mr. Ramon de la Cabada represents individuals and businesses in and around Miami, as well as throughout the rest of Florida — from Pensacola to Key West.
As a former criminal prosecutor, Ramon de la Cabada gained significant experience as an assistant statewide prosecutor and empanelled grand juries in cases involving Medicaid fraud and other white collar crimes. His grand jury reports and recommendations spawned legislative changes for Medicaid certification.
Mr. Ramon de la Cabada has been involved in white collar cases involving procurement fraud in government contracts, environmental crimes, international crimes, construction fraud, tax fraud and securities fraud.
Ramon de la Cabada was also an assistant state attorney who prosecuted a variety of crimes, from DUIs to violent crimes. Now in private practice, he defends individuals accused of crimes and provides sound and confidential legal advice on regulatory compliance matters to small and medium-sized businesses. Ramon de la Cabada also has several opinions based on successful motions that have been published in the Florida DUI Handbook and the Florida Law Weekly Supplement.
Mr. Ramon de la Cabada has also been featured as a criminal law expert on Univision’s television shows “El Gordo y La Flaca” and “Primer Impacto”; Telemundo’s Nightly news and show “Hoy en el Mundo”; America Teve (Channel 41 in Miami); BBC International; CNN en Español and WIOD 610 AM Radio.
As a defense attorney, Mr. Ramon de la Cabada has been a guest speaker or lecture at numerous seminars involving federal sentencing, DUI, domestic violence, export compliance, internal investigations, narcotics and fraud. As a prosecutor, he trained law enforcement on search and seizure and fraud.
A sampling of his achievements include:
- Expert for the U.S. Department of Treasury in the Dominican Republic, assisting the country in rewriting and implementing changes to its existing money laundering laws.
- Served as a member of Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions for Criminal Cases and during that time drafted many instructions including the jury instruction for Mortgage Fraud and the one for Communications Fraud.
- Served as member of the Juvenile Justice Board for the 11th Judicial Circuit of Florida.
- Board of Directors Member and Life Member of National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Life Member.
- Former Chair of Florida Bar Grievance Committee.
- Listed as a financial crimes expert for the Florida Association for Volunteer Action in the Caribbean and the Americas.
- Served as a member of the Homeland Defense / Neighborhood Improvement Bond Program Oversight Board.
- Worked as an expert for the U.S. Department of Treasury in the Dominican Republic, assisting the country in rewriting and implementing changes to its existing money laundering laws.
- Assisted in the drafting and implementation of administrative rules for the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Division of Hotel and Restaurants.
- Former Vice-Chair, Florida Bar Grievance Committee
- Instructor for Advance Trial and Litigation Course, University of the Republic of Uruguay , Montevideo, Uruguay
• Instructor for Advance Trial Advocacy Training for the Office of the Public Defender of Chile
- Hired by Organization of American States (OAS) to train Anti-Corruption Prosecutors from Honduras on Advocacy
- Ramon presented to judges, prosecutors and public defenders in Rosario, Argentina regarding the implementing of jury trials into the criminal justice system.